Thursday, May 29, 2008

In the Shadow

Throughout scripture, God uses visual images to help us connect with intangible concepts. Sometimes I'm too thick-headed to get them, as simple as he's made them. But I got one today.

I took Dodger to the backyard this afternoon to take care of some "business." While waiting for him in the 91 degree heat of the sunshine, I gradually made my way toward the shade of a large oak that stands on our property.

I never even stood under the tree. I didn't have to. I simply stood in the shadow of the tree, and it was 10 degrees (or more) cooler; I was no longer exposed to the grueling torture of the excessive heat. Yes, I was still vulnerable to the damaging rays of the sun, but that sense of misery and oppression that the Texas heat can inflict was gone.

Psalm 91 says we can "rest in the shadow of the Almighty." When we're there, we're still exposed to the damaging attacks of the Enemy and others, but we can cast off that sense of misery and oppression by recognizing how great his love for us is. And, he casts a very long shadow that never turns (James 1:17) so there's plenty of room for us all, forever. And we don't have to move or adjust our location to stay with its covering.

The rest of the psalm continues, explaining the benefits of being under God's wing, letting him be our dwelling and refuge. I'm sure there will be other days I'll gain greater understanding and appreciation for those images, but for today, I'm going to enjoy his shadow; it's a wonderful place to hang out.

No comments: