Monday, January 12, 2009

The Privilege of Prayer

Prayer is certainly a powerful exercise for believers - a privilege to carry our concerns and joys to the God of all creation. Historically, no great movement of God has ever begun without prayer. Yesterday, Darin challenged our church with the opportunity to pray for our entire community- 6000 strong in the 75763 zip code-and distributed copied sheets of the telephone book throughout the congregation by which to provide a method for this challenge.

I got "U."

While there are a few actual people listed, I'm amused that the Lord should ordain for me to receive the "U.S. Government." Not that I question the need for prayer for our nation's leadership; it's just I so often sense such deep corruption (on both sides of the political fence), I am usually less than optimistic about prayer truly making a difference in the outcome of elections, law-making sessions, etc. Yet, I think this was God's wake-up call to me. A reminder he is still "King of [all] kings" (1 Tim 6:15) and "there is no authority except from [him]" (Rom 13:1).

That's important to me, because as C.S. Lewis says, we are the "object[s] of God's love," and he has more than just an "indifferent concern for our welfare." In that all-consuming love, we are valued beyond all measure, up to and including the sacrifice of his only perfect Son on our behalf. Why shouldn't I trust prayer to make a difference, then? If he can change the course of my eternity, surely he can handle law-makers and judges for the time they are in office.

Father John of Kronstadt said, "Oh, what great happiness and bliss, what exaltation it is to address oneself to the Eternal Father. Always, without fail, value this joy which has been accorded to you by God's infinite grace." - Even while I'm praying for the government.

1 comment:

Alison Bryant said...

Such a great, well-written reminder, Julie. It's so easy to get discouraged in this area. This inspires me.