Friday, January 9, 2009

God's Soundtrack

I've always been a fan of musicals. Ever since I was a wee little girl. I'd dance through the house singing "Raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens...." The combination of music and drama, coupled with romance and conflict has always scratched right where I've itched. Add to that the incredibly (however far-fetched) happy endings, and I'm sold. Movies with good soundtracks have the same effect, and not just the chick flicks. I've never watched the entirety of "Gettysburg," but I can follow the story just by listening to the music.

Sitting at the dining room table late this morning, I began to think musicals, or at least movie soundtracks, must have been God's idea. I was sewing, listening to some of my favorite songs on the IPod. Chris Rice's "Untitled Hymn" began to play - a tender lullaby of calling and comfort.
Weak and wounded sinner, lost and left to die
The words matched the view out our 10 foot window: overcast; the sun hidden behind gray and white clouds. Then, suddenly...
O, raise your head, for love is passing by, come to Jesus and live!
Now your burden's lifted
and carried far away
And precious blood has washed away the stain, so
sing to Jesus and live!
The sun's glow beamed into the room so brilliantly I had to squint. Yet in a heartbeat,
clouds covered the sun, and a cold darkness settled itself over the room again.
And like a newborn baby, don't be afraid to crawl
And remember when you walk sometimes we fall...
Sometimes the way is lonely and steep and filled with pain
So if your sky is dark and pours the rain...
As the sun burst forth again, tears jumped to my eyes as I realized God's handiwork matched the music...
O, and when the love spills over and music fills the night
And when you can't contain your joy inside, then dance for Jesus
.
Suddenly, the clouds passed over, covering the sun, yet again.
And with your final heartbeat, kiss the world goodbye
As the clouds departed, the sun shone directly on my face, warming my body and soul...
Then go in peace, and laugh on Glory's side, and fly to Jesus and live!
I guess God puts a soundtrack to life almost every day in one way or another. Whether it's birds singing, wind howling, water tripping over rocks. The big question is, "Are my eyes and ears open to see and hear his music?"

No comments: