Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Popping Pineapple

So we were simply standing around in the kitchen, enjoying a pleasant conversation with my parents last Saturday night, when an explosion sounded from the south end of the room. Upon further investigation, I noticed a distinctive odor coming from the top shelf of the pantry - pineapple. There in front of me was a sealed can of pineapple slices with drops of moisture on the rim. "Where did this juicy/watery substance come from?" I wondered. Pulling out the can, I could find no evidence of a leak, and there wasn't anything on top of the can, so, washing it off, I was about to place it back on the shelf when I realized the can behind it no longer had a lid! And there were white, chunky pieces floating around in the juice. Did you know that after 3 years, cans of sliced pineapple will go bad?

Checking the date, we realized we'd bought the cans in '04. Why we moved them from Corsicana last summer I don't know. I'm just so thankful I didn't serve that to anyone we know and love!

I'm sure there's a spiritual application here somewhere, but let's just leave the moral of this story at check expiration dates from time to time.

By the way, I checked every other can in the pantry. No more explosions are expected in the near future. So if you come over to eat, you don't have to be afraid.

No comments: