Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Eyes I Saw

The old proverb that the eyes are the window to the soul is indeed true, but have you ever noticed how hazy that window can be? Recently, in the eyes of the friend, I saw something that haunts me and I still can't describe. Perhaps it was weariness, perhaps loneliness, perhaps fear or uncertainty. But that look remains with me. Each image I conjure up honestly saddens me and prompts me to pray for my friend. The truth is, I've never been much of an "eyes" person. The smile (or frown) of a person's mouth has always been the first thing I notice, and we all know how deceiving that can be. But every now and then, I see eyes that catch my attention for one reason another. I can probably count on one hand the number of people whose eyes I've noticed without someone pointing them out to me. Darin's eyes were some of the first that I ever remember really seeing. Their dazzling blue color intrigued, yet soothed me, simultaneously. A couple of weekends ago, I met a young man whose brown eyes were almost black. I couldn't even distinguish his pupils, but his eyes spoke comfort and confidence, even peace. I hope my eyes say half as much to others, though I fear that's not the case. Through my communication studies, I learned the importance of eye contact in relationships and conversation, so you'd think I'd be more alert. Jesus certainly was. The New Testament deals with eyes (in the literal and figurative sense) about 70 times. More than anything, he wanted to bring healing and hope to those eyes that couldn't see or viewed things dimly. I pray that I will have the wisdom Christ did to see past the haze to the truth that lies within each person, and to do whatever is in my power to bring hope and healing to them.

2Co 4:18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal (i.e. the souls of humanity).

No comments: