Tuesday, October 23, 2007

It's Nice to Know

From time to time, it's nice to know you're accomplishing the purpose for which you set out. I felt that way today as some of the reading groups I tutor took a test on the book we recently completed. Of the ten students represented, we had one 80, three 90s and six 100s! Clear evidence that they were really comprehending, not just scanning the pages. Although the book we read is technically below grade level for these kids, this small step of accomplishment will make it easier for them to tackle the next challenge, I believe. Several of the kids have already selected the next book they want to read on their own and are asking me what we will be reading together next. The fact that they are finding joy, laughter and emotion in reading is a huge stride for some of them, and that a few are taking proactive steps to read on their own is exciting beyond description. But, it's a reminder to me, too. I want so much for them to learn and grow in knowledge and understanding through reading. Yet, my greatest Teacher, Jesus, desires the same for me. He knows how much richer my life will be when I'm reading his words, not just scanning them, and he will know the evidence of my comprehension by my response and actions (especially in those times of testing). He wants me to hunger for more of what he has to offer, because he knows how fully it will satiate the needs that exist within the depths of my being. When I consider the lengths and depths he's gone through to preserve it throughout history, I can't help but be awed. It's nice to know he wants to speak to me through his own writing, personally and individually.

Ro 15:4 For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

1 comment:

Misty said...

I really enjoy reading your posts. You truly know how to tie things together and point everything to God. Thank you for sharing!