Monday, February 4, 2008

Surprise Party

No, it wasn't a birthday shindig, but rather a party that literally surprised us, the hosts! Last night, Kris planned a Super Bowl party for the students to be held at the 105. However, the television's reception wasn't so great, so @ 3:30, we offered to host the event at our house. I hadn't cleaned or prepared anything, so it was quite an impromptu affair, but that's sometimes the best kind of all. We truly had a wonderful time. The students treated us and the house with respect, but most of them relaxed enough to simply be themselves: cheering, laughing, and consuming gross amounts of pizza!

I've been asking the Lord lately how I can best be obedient to his word in Romans 12:13:
"When God’s children are in need, be the one to help them out. And get into the habit of inviting guests home for dinner or, if they need lodging, for the night."
I didn't expect him to drop an opportunity in my lap! (Although no one stayed over. It was a school night after all!)

I wonder how many other chances I've missed because I was too focused on meeting my agenda rather than hearing his still, small voice of invitation to service and ministry. Honestly, I don't think I want to know, but I hope I'll be listening more intently for the next time. I'm just glad I didn't miss this one.

1 comment:

Julie M said...

THANKS for having us over!!!!!