Monday, February 11, 2008

People I'm Pondering

Since September, as many of you know, I've been tutoring 5th grade students in reading Tuesday and Thursday mornings. But, in preparation for the upcoming TAKS test next month, I began last week tutoring every morning to help give a final push toward better reading comprehension (thus, the infrequency of my blogging over the last few days).

Although I certainly hope their scores will reflect it, I feel quite certain that many of them have made solid strides this year. We read an "Encyclopedia Brown" book this semester that piqued the interest of five of the students so much that they asked where they could get another book in the mystery series. Remember, these are kids that generally find reading to be so challenging that they look for opportunities to avoid reading anything! (With full gratitude to Donald J. Sobol, author of the series!)

Honestly, the reason I selected the book was because my love for mysteries began as a child, reading the Encyclopedia Brown books. I'm currently in the throes of an Agatha Christie novel, Crooked House, and I'm quite happy trying to figure out who-dun-it.

Probably many people, at least as merely my acquaintances, wouldn't guess I love to read about murder! I think that's one of the things I love about developing new friendships: learning unique, or even unexpected things about people.

For example, I recently discovered a fellow sister in Christ has a tremendous (and outstanding) collection of over 200 porcelain dolls. When I saw the beautiful, delicate figures, I was awed. Last week, I met a Canadian brother in Christ. The lowest temperature he's ever personally experienced is -60 degrees F. (If that doesn't boggle your mind, your brain must be already frozen from northern exposure.)

Are all these things trivial? Perhaps. But my enjoyment of murder mysteries, her collection and his chilling experience still comprise who we are and who we are becoming, unique to us alone. And it doesn't have to be "life-altering" stuff. Just the details of people's abilities, talents, interests and experiences fascinates and delights me. I guess that's because all that they are and can do in this amazing world points to an amazing and creative God.

Won't it be funny if when we get to heaven, we discover that God has a hobby, too. (More than just keeping us out of trouble!) And can you imagine the stories He'll share about His experiences throughout eternity?!
Great are the works [and people!] of the LORD; they are pondered by all who delight in them. -Psalm 111:2

No comments: