Sunday, December 30, 2007

Little Red Toboggan--Part 2

When we last saw Little Red, she was headed to her grandmother's igloo, but had wandered off the path, distracted. She has just encountered a polar bear:
"What are you doing out here, little girl?" the bear asked in a voice as friendly as he muster.

"I'm on my way to see my Grandma who lives in an igloo on the other side of the woods," she cautiously replied. "But I'm afraid I didn't realize how late it has become. Please excuse, me, Mr. Bear. I must hurry to her house now." And immediately, Little Red began walking on the path through the woods toward her Grandmother's igloo.

As Little Red made her way closer to her Grandmother's house, the polar bear did, too. Except he ran and took a short cut to get there. Arriving at Grandma's house long before Little Red, he knocked lightly on the door.

"Come in!" called the kind voice, hoping Little Red was at the door.

The bear burst into the house and in one quick motion, before she could even shout, gobbled up Little Red's grandma in one swallow!

The bear, knowing that Little Red would be there any minute, poked through Grandma's closet to find a nightgown he liked. He added a frilly sleeping cap, dabbed some of her perfume behind his little round ears, and jumped into the bed, pulling the covers up past his nose.

Moments later, Little Red knocked on the door. The bear called out, "Who is it?" in a cackly voice.

"It's me, Grandma, Little Red," the girl called out.

"Oh, how lovely! Do come in, my dear," croaked the bear.

"Grandma, your voice sounds so odd. Is something the matter?" she asked as she entered the igloo.

"Oh, I just have a slight cold," squeaked the bear, adding a very fake cough at the end.

Now when Little Red got a look at the bed, she could scarcely recognize her Grandmother. Sure, whatever it was lying there had white hair like her grandmother, and had dark eyes like her grandmother, and even had clothes like her grandmother. But, it wasn't her grandmother.

So, placing her basket inside the door, she decided to test the impostor, saying, "Wow, Grandma, what a big nose you have," and edged closer to the bed.

"The better to smell you with, my dear," said the bear.

"But Grandma, what big hands you have," said Little Red.

"The better to hold you with, my dear," said the bear.

"But Grandma, what big teeth you have," said Little Red inching still nearer.

"The better to eat you with, my dear!" roared the bear and leaped from the bed, chasing Little Red.

Because she'd been suspicious, Little Red was ready to run the moment the bear came after her, so she took off across the room and out the door shouting, "Help! I'm being chased by a bear!" as loudly as she could.

No comments: