Monday, December 31, 2007

Come-mu-nee-kay-shun is Kee

I awoke this morning at 5:30 AM to the realization that before I went to bed last night, an envelope I'd left on the kitchen counter on Saturday wasn't there any longer. Normally, that would be no big deal, except this time it had a check in it made out to me. And, even in my dreary state, I remembered that Darin had gathered the trash to be put out today. Yep, you guessed it.

Now, I take full blame and responsibility for what happened. I left the check in the torn open envelope, relatively near the garbage can, causing it to look like trash. (Although I'd like to think I'm a better housekeeper than that since the garbage can was less than 4 feet away, but that's another issue entirely.) Nevertheless, I should have communicated to Darin that something valuable was in that envelope. He was simply trying to help keep our house a home.

Everyone knows how important, even vital, communication is, but so often we assume others, especially our loved ones, can (or should) read our minds and even our actions and interpret them accurately. Why are we so unfair? Consider how indignant we are when they expect that of us! Even more so, why do we try to and even believe we can "figure out" God and his workings?
Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out! Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor? Romans 11:33-34
I don't know what 2008 will hold, but I plan to keep communication lines open with God and my husband (!), because what they have to share with me from their hearts is infinitely more valuable than what was in that envelope. To do that, I must keep confessed and humble before God, and authentic and considerate with Darin. Challenging? Yes. Worth it? Undoubtedly.

I am happy to announce, thankfully, that I just pulled the check out of the trash. And I only stuck my fingers in one can of refried beans in the process. The teller at the bank will be wondering why she's craving Mexican food for lunch.

No comments: