Monday, November 5, 2007

The Power of Silence

When I was in college, I had a wonderful roommate in the dorm who had the ability to study with the TV on. I tried numerous times, but I'm so visual, it was a constant distraction. Next, I tried with the radio, but it also was disturbing, because I wanted to sing along with every song instead of focusing on sine and cosine (which I still don't get, by the way). So, I tramped off to the library, thinking the quiet there was the best option for me. That lasted all of three hours, during which time I visited with David, Beth, Sharon, Matthew, Mike, Ginger, Steven, Bryan, Christi ... The only solutions left were to use either instrumental classical music or complete silence. Heading back to the dorm, I tried both approaches, and with success, I might add (although my algebra grade might prove otherwise). I was at least able to focus and think deeply about my topic for study.

I guess that's kinda what I've been doing the last week. Seeking opportunities for silence and fewer distractions in order to focus and think deeply on what the Lord is trying to say to and do in me. I know I haven't gotten things down 100%, as my attitude and actions will prove from time to time, but I think I'm hearing and seeing a couple of things a little more clearly. The power of silence is that I can recognize his voice and know his promptings more distinctly than my own preferences or influences.

La 3:22-28 Because of the LORD'S great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning;great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.” The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD. Let him sit alone in silence.

No comments: